Human history has shown that images are worth more than words. The rise of visual-based communications has led to a new vocabulary of emojis and GIFs, which is making us more expressive than ever before. For every emotion we go through, there is an emoji with just the right expression, helping us to communicate better.
Inevitably, Emojis have now become a fundamental part of our everyday, digital lives. This is why, ahead of World Emoji Day on Sunday, 17 July, Meta shares some fun facts on how Indians are using emojis across platforms.
- Among activities and sports, Cricket 🏏 continues to be the nation’s favorite sport followed by Yoga/meditation emoji 🧘 given people’s focus on health and wellbeing.
- We are an expressive bunch, even if it’s just through Emojis – Version 14.0 saw 112 new emojis released last year; despite the many choices, the most popular new emojis on Facebook amongst Indians showed a range of emotion:
Here’s a list of the most popular emojis used in India across Facebook and Instagram:
- Popular sports emojis on Facebook posts in India are:
- 🧘Yoga meditation emoji
- Most popular sports emojis in Instagram bios for people living in India are:
- Popular emojis in India by age group on Facebook:
- Gen Z (18 – 24):
- Millennials (25-44):
- Gen X + Boomers (45 – 65+):
What’s your favorite emoji?