Cricket is one of the spheres in India which people take very seriously. Cricket is an emotion, that we Indians share. We chant for the country even if we’re not in the stadium, we scream at their television boxes when we lose a wicket, and go around partying after a win! And why not? India has always had a splendid team and talented players!
While the internet is raging with comments about Hardik Pandya’s conduct on Koffee with Karan and the BCCI is in a fix, we thought this would be a great time to look on the brighter side of the sport! Indian cricket players have always shown exemplary skills and techniques. They work hard and perform harder. They’ve always made the country proud by bringing laurels, and holding various records.
We’ve compiled a list of all the players that hold unique records in cricketing history! Check it out:
1. Mahendra Singh Dhoni: ‘Captain Cool’ holds quite a few records. He is known for finishing off his matches with sixes and holds a record of being the only player to finish 9 times with a six in One Day International Cricket. Mahi also holds the record for bowling the maximum times (9 international matches) while being the wicket keeper.
View this post on Instagram
Captain Cool ? @aliaabhatt @dishapatani @kiaraaliaadvani @deepikapadukone @sureshraina3 @priyankacraina @chennaiipl @sakshisingh_r @mahi7781 @ritssajdeh @zivaasinghdhoni006 ❤❤❤ #mahi #msdhoni7 #msd #mahirat #mahi7781 #msdhonitheuntoldstory #msdian #mumbaiindians #mahendrasinghdhoni #msdhoni #msdians #mahithebrand #zivadhoni #sakshidhoni #vk18 #viratians #virat #viratkohli #kohli #csk #rcb #orangearmy #playbold #chennaisuperkings #anushkasharma #hardikpandya #ipl #indiancricket #icc
2. Irfan Pathan: Pathan is the first and only bowler to have claimed a hat-trick in the first over of a Test match! He took the wickets of Salman Butt, Younis Khan, and Mohammad Yousuf for a match against Pakistan in Karachi, 2006.
3. Sachin Tendulkar: The ‘God of Cricket’ is the first player to complete the rare triple (15,921 runs; 100 wickets; 100 catches) in One Day Internationals. He is also the player that has scored the most number of runs in Test cricket -15,921!
4. Ravichandran Ashwin: The Talented bowler holds the record of bagging 200 wickets in Test cricket with the least number of deliveries, that is, 10291.
5. Virat Kohli: The current captain of Team India is the first Test skipper in cricket history to score three hundreds in his first three innings! This was done during the Test series against Australia.
6. Virender Sehwag: Viru Paaji is the only cricketer to have scored more than 7500 runs in both ODIs and Tests as an opening batsman! He is also the only to have scored a triple century in Tests and a double hundred in ODIs.
7. Shikhar Dhawan: Dhawan holds the record for scoring the fastest Test debut in cricket history, taking just 85 balls!
8. Rahul Dravid: The cricketer holds the record for taking the most number of catches in the Test format. His tally is up to 210!
9. Bapu Nadkarni: In a match against England in 1964, Bapu Nadkarni bowled 21 maiden overs! That is 131 deliveries without giving away a single run! No one has been able to beat that until now.
10. Ajinkya Rahane: A talented fielder, Rahane has the world record of being the first non-keeper cricketer to take 8 catches in a Test match on August 2015 against Sri Lanka.
11. Narendra Hirwani: In 1990, against a match with England, Hirwani bowled 59 overs (354 deliveries) without a break in this Test series! It has been unbeatable till this day.
12. Rohit Sharma: An amazing batsman, Rohit holds the record of scoring the most number of double centuries in ODIs. The cricketer has scored 3 double centuries, one of which is a score of 264 which is also the highest ODI score ever as of now!
It is awe inspiring to see that India is producing such dedicated and talented cricketers. They are truly serving as good role models for anyone who wishes to pursue this sport as a career.
How many of these records did you know of? Let us know!