More than ten people killed and many rescued after a massive fire broke out at a hotel which was a COVID facility in Andhra Pradesh’s Vijayawada.
A private hospital had taken a hotel in Vijaywada on lease to convert it into a COVID treatment facility. According to the fire department, the hospital management did not procure a NOC before converting the hotel into a COVID facility thereby violating safety rules.
“The alarm bell didn’t ring at the time of the accident and there was a delay in opening the back door. The investigation has been initiated and there will be action on hotel management after it,“ said Fire Department director, Jayram Naik to India Today.
Andhra Pradesh: Fire breaks out at a hotel in Vijayawada, fire tenders rushed to the spot. The hotel was being used as a #COVID19 facility by a hospital. More details awaited. pic.twitter.com/2f876s2h6j
— ANI (@ANI) August 9, 2020
All the rescued people were rushed to the hospital. While many were believed to be trapped at the hotel, fire tenders rushed to the spot to put-off the fire. The reason of fire was estimated as a short circuit. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah offered condolences to the families of the deceased.
Anguished by the fire at a Covid Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM @ysjagan Ji and assured all possible support.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 9, 2020
Deeply anguished by the news of tragic fire accident at a COVID-19 facility in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. Centre assures all possible support to the state govt. My condolences are with the affected families in this time of grief. Praying for the speedy recovery of those injured.
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) August 9, 2020
According to Vijayawada Police Commissioner, B Srinivaslu, at least 30 coronavirus patients were being treated for COVID at the centre where the fire took place. Though a few staff and patients had been rescued in time.
— Telugu360 (@Telugu360) August 9, 2020